The haciendas are old efficient farming and manufacturing centers that produced henequen or sisal and other products for export, and date back to the Spaniards in the 16th century.
Today they are symbols of wealth and culture, and are adorned with architecture, furnishing and art, and some are now hotels, restaurants or museums.
You may visit some of them in Yucatán:
- Hacienda Xcanatun, Merida
- Hacienda Temozon, Temozon Sur
- Hacienda San Jose, Tixkokob
- Hacienda Santa Cruz, Santo Cruz Palomeque
- Hacienda Ticum, Ekmul
- Hacienda Misné, Merida
- Hacienda San Francisco Tzacalha, Dzidantún
- Hacienda Petac, Petac
- Hacienda Yaxcopoli, Yaxcopoli
- Hacienda Uayamon, Uayamon
- Hacienda Tepich, Acanceh
And many more…